[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] epsilon want to be a GNU package

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] epsilon want to be a GNU package
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:40:50 -0500

Luca Saiu <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Free Software Foundation wrote:
>
> > address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > To make your program into official GNU software
> > (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUsoftware), you will
> > first need to agree to follow GNU policies.
>   [...]

>   Ok, I am pretty sure to agree on everything about GNU policies --I
> have read nearly everything on the 'philosophy' section of your site--
> however I am going to read again the articles you have pointed, paying
> particular attenction.

>   Just a question: 'procedurally' speaking, how can I formally agree? By
> replying to your e-mail? I didn't understand this.

Sure, just let me know by email that you agree with the GNU policies.  It
is a formal process, but we don't ask you to sign anything, or that sort
of thing.

The important thing is that you understand what we ask of GNU maintainers,
so that later when you are asked to adhere to them, you are not surprised
by the request.

> > Also, I believe that the Guile project is working on something quite
> > similar.  I suggest you talk with them about what you are doing and seek
> > their input.
>
>   Mmm. My language is quite far from Scheme since, for example, it's
> strongly typed, and purely functinal, Scheme is not. Syntax is less
> important, but the difference shows the distance between two views: my
> conception is more "rigid" and less "expressive", but also less
> dynamic (dangerous), more oriented to clear software engineering;
> for example I plan to implement exception-handling, something which Scheme
> lacks. But now I'm speaking too much before making, and this is not
> the place for philosophy. Sorry.

>   I sincerely appreciate the Guile project and sometimes use Guile, but
> I think epsilon should evolve into something radically different from
> it.

It's probably important to make this case in a README with the
distribution; many people will ask why it is part of GNU, given that Guile
sponsors a similar initiative under its auspices.

The fact that you have a different approach from the work going into Guile
does not mean Epsilon cannot be GNU; it simply means we have to explain to
users what the differences are.

Please add that README, so that the evaluators will find it when they
evaluate the software.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942