[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of mp3cddb

From: y . lesaint
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of mp3cddb
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:32:41 -0500

Le Saint  Yannick <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: mp3cddb
System name: mp3cddb
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

 I am making a tool which can access CDDB database from mp3
files.

 I have actually 2 scripts :
  - mp3cddb_info :
     show you cddb informations about mp3 files.

  - mp3cddb_rename :
      Rename mp3 files according to their cddb informations

      Can either simply rename files or create tree like
     ???/genre/artist/title/004__song_name.mp3.

      Can either copy or move files.

      Can also rename an entire tree containing many audio cd
     mp3-converted.

     Provide a \"forward\" script and a \"reverse\" script :
      forward do the actual renaming
      reverse undo all actions performed by the forward script

 A libray is also under developpement ( called MP3::CDDB ),
not available on www.cpan.org for now, but I hope it will be.

 I plan to provide a daemon that would look into cddb
databases to rename your new audio cds, so if you cannot
access cddb or find informations when you convert your cd,
you could let the daemon do this later when you\'ll be
connected and/or the informations are shared.
 The daemon will provide the same forward/reverse mechanism.

 Currently, I am testing the scripts for many mp3s. Then, I
will develop the daemon.

 For now, the entire project is perl-programmed, so
documentations are available in pod-format.

 I have already send a submission for this project, and you
replied that you wanted to see scripts, so, there it is :

 - MP3::CDDB : perl library
   http://y.lesaint.free.fr/html/usr/lib/perl/MP3/CDDB.pm

 - mp3cddb_info : perl script
   http://y.lesaint.free.fr/html/usr/local/bin/mp3cddb_info

 - mp3cddb_rename : perl script
   http://y.lesaint.free.fr/html/usr/local/bin/mp3cddb_rename

 - MP3::CDDB.html, mp3cddb_info.html, mp3cddb_rename.html
   html-ized documentation ( from pod format ) :
   http://y.lesaint.free.fr/html/usr/local/doc/

 For now, no README, INSTALL or the like is available, just
for the case you would test it, copy CDDB.pm in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/MP3, then copy mp3cddb_info and
mp3cddb_install where you want ( a $PATH compliant location ? ).

 Future developpement ???
  - rewrite to guile / c
  - link with many apps ( xmms, nautilus, ... )

 Thanks for taking a look at the project, may the gnu force
be with you ;-)