[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of invoke

From: kahlage
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of invoke
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:50:04 -0500

Gerall Kahla <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: invoke
System name: invoke

I have written a program, which I call \'invoke\', that is used from the
commandline.  Invoke hands off a target file to its mime-type handler
application.  There are several unique things about this application currently:

0) supports open standards (mime.typs and mailcap files)
1) written in POSIX-compliant C
2) stdout and stderr streams of the handler application can be re-directed or
silenced with a commandline switch
3) it fully supports the \'test=\' argument of teh mailcap RFC1343 (unlike lynx
and similar)

Currently, invoke remains running while the handler application does its thing.
 However, in future versions I hope to make invoke smart with regard to
threading off a child process for the handler.  Dealing with this behavior from
a console has turned out to be a little beyond me at the moment...

I\'m almost finished with a detailed explanation of how to write mailcap rules
that invoke can take advantage of.  I\'m planning on putting this documentation
under an appropriate Free Software / Documentation License when it\'s ready for
posting.

Invoke already exists and you can find it\'s source code package at
<URL:http://chromebob.com/tmp/invoke-1.0.0.tar.gz>.

Invoke is distributed under the GNU General Public License.  Invoke is also
already using the GNU autoconf / automake tools to provide a simple
\'./configure && make && make install\' installation.