Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Carbone Ruby VM

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Carbone Ruby VM
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:50:46 +0100

Dans un message du 23 jan à 20:57, address@hidden écrivait :

> markus liedl <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License: There will be a C header File under LGPL to allow compilation
> of closed-source modules. This is not intended for VM functionality, but only
> to communicate with external and so maybe non-free software.
>
> Also, there is a lgram-parser in my VM
>
> (
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/lib/metaruby/doc/LGram.txt?rev=1.6&content-type=text/plain
>  )
>
> that is currently the format of parsed Ruby code but has a much bigger target
> scope. It should be under LGPL.
>
> Package: Carbone Ruby VM
> System name: carbone
>
> The goal of my project is to develop a performant virtual machine for
> the Ruby language ( http://www.ruby-lang.org ) and a compiler to it\'s
> internal format. Also, core parts of Ruby\'s runtime library will be
> necessary.
>
> The current state is that some primitive operations (sending simple
> messages, defining methods) are working and that it is between 5 and
> 24 times faster then the official interpreter.
>
> I want it to become compatible to the official Ruby interpreter.
>
> I\'m using vmgen which is part of GNU Forth, which by itself produces C
> code that depends on GCC. My project depends on that.
>
> I\'ve started translating the official Ruby parser (written in C) into
> Ruby code itself. It parses to a set of specified Nodes.
> ( http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/lib/metaruby/ )
>
> I want start to develop this project in public to
>
> (1) find other interested people and have a place for source code
>     exchange and communication
> (2) (maybe) find more people that want to work on Ruby libraries

Unless I am mistaken, your code does contain a proper copyright notice.
Therefore from a strictly legal point of view, your project is not Free
Software. Could you please add a proper copyright notice at the
beginning of every source files (an example follows) and resubmit your
project again please ?

e.g

/*
    Copyright (C) Year1,Year2 Author1, Author2

    (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

*/

Thanks in advance for your patience.

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

         If you want the answers, you'd better get ready for the fire
                               (System of a Down)