Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Carbone Ruby VM

From: markus liedl
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Carbone Ruby VM
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:39:14 +0100 (MET)

> Dans un message du 23 jan à 20:57, address@hidden écrivait :
> >

> > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org.
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >

> > markus liedl <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License: There will be a C header File under LGPL to allow
> compilation of closed-source modules. This is not intended for VM
functionality,
> but only to communicate with external and so maybe non-free software.
> >
> > Also, there is a lgram-parser in my VM
> >
> > (

http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/lib/metaruby/doc/LGram.txt?rev=1.6&content-type=text/plain
 )

This link is just for explaining what LGram is. It's not Carbone.

> > that is currently the format of parsed Ruby code but has a much bigger
> target scope. It should be under LGPL.
> >
> > Package: Carbone Ruby VM
> > System name: carbone
> > This package does NOT want to apply for inclusion in the GNU project
> >
> > The goal of my project is to develop a performant virtual machine for
> > the Ruby language ( http://www.ruby-lang.org ) and a compiler to it\'s
> > internal format. Also, core parts of Ruby\'s runtime library will be
> > necessary.
> >
> > The current state is that some primitive operations (sending simple
> > messages, defining methods) are working and that it is between 5 and
> > 24 times faster then the official interpreter.
> >
> > I want it to become compatible to the official Ruby interpreter.
> >
> > I\'m using vmgen which is part of GNU Forth, which by itself produces C
> > code that depends on GCC. My project depends on that.
> >
> > I\'ve started translating the official Ruby parser (written in C) into
> > Ruby code itself. It parses to a set of specified Nodes.
> > ( http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/lib/metaruby/ )

This link should show where my ruby-parser rests, but it won't be a part of
Carbone.

> > I want start to develop this project in public to
> >
> > (1) find other interested people and have a place for source code
> >     exchange and communication
> > (2) (maybe) find more people that want to work on Ruby libraries
>

> Unless I am mistaken, your code does contain a proper copyright notice.
> Therefore from a strictly legal point of view, your project is not Free
> Software. Could you please add a proper copyright notice at the
> beginning of every source files (an example follows) and resubmit your
> project again please ?

Excuse me, I din't explain well.

The project Carbone is currently not publicly accessible; it rests on my
hard disk. So your answer can't apply to them. Those two links that I gave are
related to my project, but they are not my project. Both, my ruby-parser and
matju's MetaRuby will rest extern to Carbone.

> e.g
>
> /*
>     Copyright (C) Year1,Year2 Author1, Author2
>
>     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>     (at your option) any later version.
>
>     This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
>     but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
>     MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>     GNU General Public License for more details.
>
>     You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>     along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
>     Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307
> USA
>
> */
>
> Thanks in advance for your patience.

I will insert the GPL header in the my files.

thanks,
markus