[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of YaRET

From: luterac
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of YaRET
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:06:08 -0500

Adam Luter <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: YaRET
System name: yaret

YaRET is an existing project (http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia/yaret).
However, it was recently re-written to add or enchance, or just plain fix
features.  It is still written in perl, but the new code is much better than
the old.  The program in general is your basic encoder/normalizer/ripper
frontend -- stick in a CD and get your favorite music format out (mp3, ogg,
etc. ).

The program supports CDDB through the libcdaudio library and the newest version
supports it well.  The newest version supports multiple -concurrent- encoders.
Whereas the old version just supported multiple encoders.  All \"used\"
programs can be replaced with your favorite version through command line
options or through the config file.  E.g. cdparanoia can be replaced with
cdda2wav, or whatever ... lame with oggenc or flac, or etc.

YaRET was originally created when there were no good command-line frontends.
The only good one was Grip, but it was GUI.  YaRET was created to fill this
gap.  Now, there are several good frontends that do the same thing as YaRET --
but that hardly means that we should throw away all this code!  Competition
breeds competancy.

The old version exists at the previously mentioned url.  The new version is not
yet posted anywhere -- I am happy to send a copy in case this is important.
The new version was written entirely by myself (Adam Luter) who co-wrote the
original version.  (Actually Marco Nenciarini coded the \"original\" version,
but I contributed more than half the lines of code to the final \"original\"
version).

Marco and I want to release version 2.0 soon, and he has advised me not to use
sourceforge, so I shan\'t.  He recommended savannah -- which I just read about,
and now I\'m here.

Thank you for your time, which ever volunteer I happen to get to read my
rambles. :)

Sine Cera,
  Adam Luter

p.s. I did not apply for \"GNU\" status because Perl programs tend to be a bit
chaotic for that sort of thing.  Also I am not certain of all the requirements
and do not want to delay activation of this account.  Thanks again.