Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Free UCS Scalable

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Free UCS Scalable Fonts
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:54:16 +0000

Hi Primoz,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:31:50AM +0100, Primoz Peterlin wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:
> >     Unless I'm mistaken your package is not (yet ;-) part of the GNU
> > project. Could you please submit it again with a different name so that
> > people
> > are not confused ?
>
> Let's suppose that some day it will. What's the policy on project
> candidates that become GNU projects? Are they supposed to change system
> name?
Only if you want to (that change can be easily made). You can also keep the
same system name but change the extended name : "The GNU Free Fonts..."

> Although I see little chance for confusion - after all, I believe that
> savannah-hackers list is read by a well-informed bunch of people being
> aware that a project candidate they have never previously heard of is not
> a GNU project - I have resubmitted the project with a different name.

Thanks, your project has been approved. Please notice that we are not worried
about savannah-hackers readers, but the general public; you'd be surprise to
know how many people think gnuplot is a GNU package. And there are even people
who think that using the GPL means becoming part of the GNU project. Even we
savannah-hackers have to ask very often address@hidden whether certain
package is part of GNU or not.

Best of luck with your project, which is a very important one.
Cheers,
Jaime