[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNUnet

From: grothoff
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNUnet
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:39:20 -0500

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: GNUnet
System name: gnunet
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

GNUnet is a reliable anonymous distributed network that
uses a reputation-based economy to guard against attacks. One
application is censorship-resistant file-sharing.

Keeping published documents available in the face of powerful adversaries
requires an array of techniques. Censorship can be enacted in many ways, such
as sweeping through users hard drives to discover objectionable content,
filtering user queries to catch requests, and even denial of service attacks
against servers providing storage for the documents. Our goal is to design a
file-sharing protocol that protects against all of these attempts to limit the
free flow of information. In particular, both content and queries should always
be encrypted, and servers as well as all intermediate hosts should be oblivious
of the data they are actually storing, such that they can neither be singled
out for attack nor held liable in a court of law.

Some code is available under
http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/gnet/. It yet says \'gnet\' there
and not GNUnet as a non-free Java Virtual Machine is required
to run that version. We\'re currently writing the missing
pieces such that once we release under the name of GNUnet,
we are sure that we do not depend on any non-free software.

Btw, I got this mail from RMS earlier this month, so I guess
this is already approved :-).

Re: [GNET]Re: GNUnet