Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Improbable Missio

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Improbable Mission
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:54:35 +0000

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 06:42:08PM +0100, mathieu wrote:
> According to
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/unzip/
> unzip is licensed under the BSD license.
>
> Here's the license
> ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/license.html
Yes, but it uses a patented algorithm. In Debian unzip is in the non-free
section.

I guess that distributing a zip file for Windows users is more acceptable
since they are going to use proprietary software anyway, and I think that's
what some GNU packages do, but even though tar and gzip work perfectly well
under Windows.

Cheers,
Jaime