Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of nethack-el

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of nethack-el
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:07:41 +0100

Ryan Yeske writes:
 > Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > >  >
 > >  > We were wondering if there was the possibility of some sort of dual
 > >  > licensing.  And, if not, is there the possibility of releasing
 > >  > versions of the patch separately under different licenses?
 > >  >
 > >  > Or, are there any other possible ways of being able to host the patch
 > >  > on savannah and not create nasty license conflicts?
 > >  >

 > >    Dual licensing the patch is a good idea. That would do the
 > > trick.  Thanks for thinking hard and finaly find a solution, it is
 > > very appreciated.
 >
 > We are very happy to hear that the dual licensing option will work.
 >
 > How exactly do we go about dual licensing the patch?  What text should
 > we use and where should it go?  In the patch itself?  Or in the
 > COPYING file?

        I had another idea, even simpler. You could release the patch
under the modified BSD license (adding a relatively short notice at
the beginning of the patch that will be ignored by the patch program
anyway). This license is compatible with the GNU GPL *and* any other
license since it's an all permissive license.

        We don't usually recommend the use of the modified BSD license
but in this case it seems appropriate and the patch is small enough that
worrying about possible proprietarization is not really necessary.

        What do you think ?