[Savannah-hackers] A SPAM solution in the works

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] A SPAM solution in the works
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:16:19 -0400

We know that SPAM is a huge problem.  I have tried to include everyone in
this message who have sought or have begun to implement independently
solutions for GNU or FSF systems.

There is a team of staff and volunteers who are working out of the FSF
offices who are working heavily on the SPAM situation, and have a
strategy for a solution that we expect to roll out in the next four weeks
or so.

Obviously, there might be a need for some stopgap measures in between
(which I have done for RMS personally at his request using procmail on his
own account, see ~rmsspam/.procmailrc).

However, any system-wide efforts, be they stopgap or long-term, should be
coordinated with the whole team.  For this purpose, we've just created a
Mailman mailing list, <address@hidden>, for these efforts to be
coordinated.  The staff/volunteers here physically at the FSF offices
working on the problem should post weekly updates, and anyone working on
solutions, with ideas, or who would like to help should post there.

I'll ask the folks here to post a summary on that list on Tuesday
morning, so please subscribe there before then if you are interested in
the problem and would like a status update.

If folks have time to help do the work to make the solution happen, please
join the list.  However, I hope this message will serve to stop any
competing solutions, or at least make everyone aware of any changes being
made to the FSF and GNU mail system that is spam related.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942