Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of MacCX

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of MacCX
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:16:20 +0200

Other Software Required:
The MacCX program requires \"rcmake\", a small utility program which
generate runtime configuration files, and uses also the \"coxlib\"
C++ library.
There\'s no free/non free problems, a priori, with the two above,
because I was the author of both and their are not public released.

But, important, the \"coxlib\" library is also used for other software
projects (some of them are professional projects).
Making a software such as MacCX a free software would certainly
imply releasing the required library components under GPL ?
And if yes, what about professional works using this library ?

Sure, to release a free software, the libs it depend on should be free software too, and released.

I dont understand why you make distinction between free software and "professional" projects. Gcc is a free software, many "professional" projects use it.

Your library can be released under the GPL or, maybe, LGPL, that shouldnt create trouble with "professional" use of your library.

* http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
* http://yeupou.coleumes.org
* http://gpg.coleumes.org (GPG Key)