[Savannah-hackers] Re: Next5Minutes and more on future of Savannah (fwd)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Next5Minutes and more on future of Savannah (fwd)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:30:56 +0200

Zeljko Blace writes:

 > I think Newslog features are quite modest within existing Savannah code,
 > Wiki concept is just so wonderfull for colaborative work and DMOZ-like
 > service is essential for structuring data (once it is collected)...
 > So these 3 are MUCH preffered, and I would insist to use tham over the
 > existing dominant modes (like mailling lists and Bulletin Boards).
 > When combined with IRC(live feedback) Wiki is mighty tool!
 >
 > So technicly/practicly speaking:
 > Is this doable with current Savannah code (updated with HP developed
 > patches) or should I look for some other solution and wait for the
 > newPhpGroupwareBasedSavannah ?

        I don't see newPhpGroupwareBasedSavannah happen anytime soon.
Instead Laurent Julliard and Mathieu Roy are building on the SourceForge-2.0
code.

        If you have time to devote to improve Savannah and add
functionalities dedicated to development, it would be greatly appreciated.
It is a quite demanding task. Implementing something new is fairly easy
and can be done in days. Maintaining it in the long run requires a lot
more time and needs daily attention. I'm not trying to scare you and
we would be pleased if you join the savannah hackers ;-)

 > Sure I understand... do you have a system that automaticly syncs
 > GNU.org CVS with GNU.ORG WEBSITE ? Could you please point me to the
 > scripts that you are using(if any?).

        The scripts can be found in the CVSROOT files of
savannah.gnu.org/projects/www + the source directory of the same project.
It basically is a cvs update triggered on every commit + a daily script
to update symlinks and run makefiles to generate content.

 > I also know this from before. But there is a GPL Plugin available
 > http://www.swift-tools.com/Flash/ (which is not fully compatible
 > with version 4...but it is almost 95% done).

        The problem with this tool is that it *may* contain non-free
files. That should be solved before we can rely on it.

        Cheers,