[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TPL: TPL Prints Langu

From: drewc
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of TPL: TPL Prints Languages
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:10:54 -0400

Drew Crampsie <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License: Please note that the specifications and documentation may be
placed under a license that protects the integrity of the work. I\'m not
familiar with the FDL...
Package: TPL: TPL Prints Languages
System name: tpl
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

The project is a specification and various implementations of a templating
system for using text templates (a la html, xml, sql, ..) from a programming
language. The author (myself ;) beleives the project is unique, in that it
takes a minimal approach to templates, allowing the prorammer to focus on the
logic and structure of the program, leaving the display to the templates.

The idea is that using the templates from the program is simply a matter of
creating a data structure, and assinging that structure to the template. there
is no logic or control structures in the template system, which is an important
part of the design.

It is based on ideas developed while working on web front-ends to databases,
but has concepts applicable to much more. It was developed out of
dissatisfaction(sp?) with any current template language. I beleive that

The code hosted on savannah is free software, under the LGPL license.The GPL is
not used because the author beleives that wider use of this code could only
advance the cause of free software. If requested a GPL license could be
applied, as i intend to maintain copyright on the code.

If the GNU project were to ever become interested in the code, it would be
available under thier terms :)

A semi-complete implementation exists, but is not available online at this
time. Should you wish to see a copy, please feel free to ask, but as it is not
complete, and is poorly documented, this is probably pointless.

Other Software Required:
Currently, the implementation is in perl. I plan to make available
implemetations in other languages. If implementation in non-free languages (i
was thinking ASP, vb.. c# just to try the languages, as the implementation is
simple) in specifically prohibited, i will not host these on savannah, or make
sure that the implentations can run in free software versions of those
languages, should they exist. A Java version is planned, and will run in a free
software VM.

Other Comments:
please don\'t make me host it on sourceforge :)