[Savannah-hackers] Re: About a new project in Savannah : about the squea

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: About a new project in Savannah : about the squeak license
Date: 06 Nov 2002 13:04:34 +0100

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:

> Germán S. Arduino wrote:

> > (http://www.squeak.org/download/license.html).

> >>It seems to be incompatible with the GPL (especially the part about
> >>fonts), but I'm not sure.
> >>
> >>If so, it means that a software that depends on squeak cannot be
> >>hosted on Savannah.
> >>
> >>I Cc: this message to address@hidden that can give you a clear
> >>answer.
> > The fonts are definately not Free Software. The choice of law clause
> > is also
> > incompatible.
> > --
> > -Dave Turner
> > Free Software Licensing Guru
> > This is not legal advice. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer.
> > Thanks You by your response.
> > That means that I can't host a project to develop in Squeak in
> > Savannah?
> > Although my project will be really GPL?
>
> You are correct.

To explain the reasons behind this, it's the fact that when you make
free software dependant on non-free software, it incitates people to
use non-free software. Our goal is to provide to users software that
can be used on a completely free system.

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<