[Savannah-hackers] [ 101505 ] ssh not used by cvs

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 101505 ] ssh not used by cvs
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:00:52 -0500

Support Request #101505, was updated on 2002-Nov-08 02:59
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101505&group_id=11

Category: CVS

By: villate
Date: 2002-Nov-08 17:00
Logged In: YES
user_id=465
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.0 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020412
Debian/1.2.0-6

Users who are not developers of any project will not need to
modify any CVS repository and therefore the anoncvs method
is good enough for them. I do not see any need to give them
ssh access just to read a repository; do you see any
advantages in  doing so?

Giving ssh access to a user means creating a home directory
for him/her, with an .ssh subdirectory where to keep his/her
ssh key. If we did that for every user that registers in
Savannah, we would have a lot of home directories that are
never used.

We only create home directories for users who are
collaborating in at least one project; therefore, when a new
user who is not a developer in any project sends an ssh key,
it will be ignored because there is no home directory where
to keep it.

If you want some developer to be able to modify the
repository of your project, you can simply add him/her to
the developers of your project before he/she attempts to
upload an ssh key.

By: axiom1