[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Heroes - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Heroes - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 11 Nov 2002 17:23:46 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Heroes
> System name: heroes
> Type: non-GNU

> This game is similar to the \"Tron\" and \"Nibbles\" games of yore, but
> includes many graphical improvements and new game features.
>
>    In it, you must maneuver a small vehicle around a world and collect
> powerups while avoiding obstacles, your opponents\' trails, and even
> your own trail.
>
>    There are five game modes available.  Quest is the classical
> Nibbles, in Death Match you start with very long tails a must kill your
> opponents, in Kill\'em All you must run over lemmings moving on the
> ground, in Time Cash or Color modes you must collect money or pyramids
> of color.  Heroes features 12 original sound tracks, 94 levels (in 10
> different tile sets) plus a level editor.
>
>    Although a bit steady the current development focus on cleaning the code
> and port the game
> to available operating systems.  Our objective is to release the version
> 1.0 as a clean and portable base that would allow further important
> works such as network support or programmable vehicles.
>
> This project is available from http://heroes.sourceforge.net/
> I\'d like to move away from SourceForge.
>
> Other Software Required:
> Written in C.  Autoconfiscated.  Need a some third-party libraries.

I havent find a COPYING file in your main CVS module.

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notices and copying permission
statements at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt copy it, for
instance, into a file named COPYING).

Please follow the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The GPL FAQ can also help you understand the reason behind
thoses recommendations. For example, there is an entry explaining
why the GPL requires including a copy of the GPL with
every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

> Needed Libraries ================
>
>    Heroes can be configured to use several libraries to handle display,
> sound output and joystick support.  Following is a list of supported
> libraries (hopefully you won\'t have to install all of them but just a
> subset).

Can you confirm that all this libs are free. Browsing their website,
I'm still unable to know understand which license is libGGI released,
for instance.

>    * LibGGI (General Graphic Interface) can be used as a display and
>    keyboard driver. Get it from `http://www.ggi-project.org/\'.
>
>    * LibGII (General Input Interface) will provide joystick support
>      (the game can be compiled without).  Get it from
>      `http://www.ggi-project.org/\'.  It is needed by LibGGI, by the way.
>
>    * SDL can be used as a display and keyboard driver.  Recent
>      revisions will also provide support for joysticks.  Get it from
>      `http://www.libsdl.org/\'.
>
>    * Allegro, a game programming library, can be used as a display,
>      keyboard, and joystick driver.  `http://alleg.sourceforge.net/\'.
>
>    * LibMikMod is a sound library. You don\'t need it if you want to
>      compile Heroes without sound support.  Get it from
>      `http://www.mikmod.org/\' or from
>      `ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/apps/sound/libs/\'.  If you
>      install LibMikMod from sources you may want to compile LibMikMod
>      without Alsa support (*note Troubleshooting::).
>
>    * SDL_Mixer is an alternative sound engine that can be used only if
>      you use SDL as display driver. You don\'t need it if you want to
>      compile Heroes without sound support.  Get it from
>      `http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/projects/SDL_mixer/\'.
>
>    To summarize, install at least LibGGI, SDL, or Allegro to get video
> output and keyboard handling.  Install LibGII to get joystick support,
> unless you use a recent SDL or Allegro.  And install LibMikMod (or
> SDL_mixer if you have SDL) if you want sound output.
>
>    My personal preference goes to LibGGI/LibGII and LibMikMod which give
> you more control over the drivers used.  On the other hand, SDL seems
> better at doing full screen display and is maintained actively.  Allegro
> is quite new on Unix.

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission