[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Curriculum Project - savannah.gnu.

From: peter
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Curriculum Project - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:35:56 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Peter Hutnick <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: fdl
Other License:
Package: Free Curriculum Project
System name: fcp
Type: GNU

The Free Curriculum Project is an effort to create a complete curriculum and
set of course materials that are \"Free\" in the GNU sense. Home school
students are the obvious target audience, but there isn\'t any reason that
public or private schools couldn\'t or shouldn\'t use any or all of this
material.

Scope
We\'d all like to be everything to everyone. We can\'t. I\'d love to see this
project grow to be objectively and universally \"the best\" curriculum for
every level of education in every language and every culture in the world. In
the mean time, I propose the following modest constraints.

The initial curriculum will be for English speaking American students. It is
intended to be a course from birth to \"High School Graduation.\"

Goal
The project goal is to create a written plan for educating a child from
\"Kindergarten to 12th grade\" and to create a complete set of course materials
under the GNU Free Documentation License to implement this curriculum including
textbooks, workbooks, \"homework\" and tests.

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.  The current \"home page\" is
http://hutnick.com/fcp/.  I am working on a Comp Sci text, which is coming
along nicely.  I hope to cull large portions of the material from public domain
works.

All original materials will be distributed under the terms of the GNU FDL.  All
substantial edits to public domain works will be under the FDL.

Other Software Required:
I am using LaTeX generated by LyX for \"source\" with HTML, PDF and PS output.

Ideally the materials will be of high enough quality that a
publisher(/publishers) will print hard copy kits.

Other Comments:
Please note that RMS has approved this project on the savannah-hackers list.