[Savannah-hackers] submission of SOWAS general-purpose bookkeeping syste

From: xitnalta
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SOWAS general-purpose bookkeeping system - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:06:14 -0500

Felix Rabe <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: affero
Other License:
Package: SOWAS general-purpose bookkeeping system
System name: sowas
Type: non-GNU

SOWAS (which stands for whatever-you-like or just nothing) is a general purpose
financial bookkeeping system.  It is intended to be used for managing the class
finances of a school, but this is only one possible kind of deployment for the
SOWAS system - it is entirely modular.

SOWAS is a client/server-based application written in Python and configured
using XML files.  On the server side, there is currently only a MySQL module,
but it is possible to write modules for any kind of data storage that can store
accounting data.  These database modules are the basis for \"session modules\"
that provide the actual functionality available to the client.  Currently,
there\'s a \"lowlevel\" session module providing all the functionality of the
used database module to the superuser, and I\'m currently working on a module
for the classes\' cashiers.  (Session modules for the students and teachers are
underway.)  Furthermore, the SOWAS server can be accessed in several ways,
currently either per XML-RPC or by importing it as a module into a Python
program.

For both of these interfaces to the server, there exist client-side modules (so
they can both be accessed in exactly the same way - but one is for remote
access and the other is (slightly) faster).  More such client-side modules or
even a Web interface are feasible.

The SOWAS client is also written in Python and uses wxPython (wxWindows
bindings to Python) as its toolkit.  It is developed and tested on GNU/Linux,
but intended to be run on Windows as well, so it ought to be somewhat
platform-independent.  Normally, a session module is accessed through a
corresponding session GUI module, so each new kind of deployment needs at least
two modules to function proberly.

You will be the first to receive the first public version.  I\'m currently very
busy working on it, and much of the core is already in place.

Other Software Required:
Operating systems:

- Client and server: GNU/Linux (development and testing platform)
- Client*: Windows (platform at school - not tested yet)

*: no idea about the server - my first tests weren\'t that promising

Requirements:

- Python (implementation language)

Requirements for now:

- MySQL (used through a module)
- wxWindows / wxPython (GUI toolkit for the client)

Other Comments:
I\'m very busy at this project because I have to hand out information about the
financial state of my class (which I\'m the cashier of - hence the early
development of the cashier server and client modules).  This will speed up
development a lot, especially since people are thinking I\'m making everything
unnecessarily more difficult ;).

Moreover, I\'m finishing school next summer, which _could_ give me the
opportunity to offer commercial support to my free software projects.  (If I\'m
not going directly to university.)  But I can\'t do that now.