[Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for hosting of AUC TeX

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for hosting of AUC TeX
Date: 26 Nov 2002 00:08:56 +0000

address@hidden (David Kastrup) said:

> AUC TeX is the most commonly used TeX/LaTeX shell for both Emacs and
> XEmacs, and is released under the GPL.  The current maintainer, Per
> Abrahamsen, has asked me to take over maintenance.  I would like to
> host it on Savannah.  Having read your conditions, I would like to ask
> whether this is feasible.  In particular:
>
> As to "support non-free software": TeX is available for a vast number
> of platforms, including some proprietary distributions.  If particular
> fixes/configurations are needed to get AUC TeX play nice with them, I
> would not want to be prohibited from providing and documenting them.
> It is a priority of mine to get stuff working with free software (and,
> to be honest, Windows ports can be a royal pain at times), but where
> volunteers are available that would take the brunt work of such
> porting work from me, I would not want to turn them down.  In a
> similar vein, I would not want to be kept from providing fixes that
> might be necessary for getting things play nice with AFPL GhostScript
> versions (which become GPLed in due course, anyway).

Your software mustnt be dependant on non-free software. It's means
that someone using a comptely free system should be able to use your
software. Not that someone using a non free system shouldnt be able to
use it.

So there's no issue here.

> I can't guarantee that the software at the current point of time
> meets all the criteria for GNU projects: for example, at the current
> point of time an autoconf-based installation is absent.  Once the
> software is hosted off Savannah, I believe to have better
> possibilities to recruit people for working on such deficiencies,
> but I can't guarantee a time frame for them.  We would probably be
> offering RedHat RPM files in addition to tarballs since one of the
> preview-latex developers (another project of mine) is rolling them
> anyway.  I'd be glad to offer things like Debian packages or similar
> if volunteers for that turn up, but I can't make any promises of who
> will contribute in what manner.

Being hosted on savannah and being a GNU package is two different
things. We host GNU and non-GNU project. GNU goes at sv.gnu.org and
non-GNU at sv.nongnu.org

You can register as non-GNU and become GNU later.

> Personally, I would prefer to have copyright assigned to the FSF,
> but this would have to be cleared with all previous contributors, of
> course.  For myself, I have signed the appropriate papers concerning
> Emacs development (though I somehow don't seem to remember getting
> that dollar mentioned as recompensation in your reply letter.  A big
> fat silver dollar would be nice... but I digress).

It seems a good idea since there're many contributor. By it's up to
you and them.

> My current account at Savannah is "dak".  I am also main author of
> the preview-latex WYSIWYG editing package that is hosted off
> SourceForge (and I'll probably keep it there for historical reasons,
> mostly).
>
> Please tell me whether you would find it feasible or appropriate if I
> tried to host AUC TeX off Savannah.

I would be happy to see on Savannah this software that I use
approx. everyday.