[Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for hosting of AUC TeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Request for hosting of AUC TeX
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:46:52 +0100

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (David Kastrup) said:
>
> > I can't guarantee that the software at the current point of time
> > meets all the criteria for GNU projects: for example, at the current
> > point of time an autoconf-based installation is absent.  Once the
> > software is hosted off Savannah, I believe to have better
> > possibilities to recruit people for working on such deficiencies,
> > but I can't guarantee a time frame for them.  We would probably be
> > offering RedHat RPM files in addition to tarballs since one of the
> > preview-latex developers (another project of mine) is rolling them
> > anyway.  I'd be glad to offer things like Debian packages or similar
> > if volunteers for that turn up, but I can't make any promises of who
> > will contribute in what manner.
>
> Being hosted on savannah and being a GNU package is two different
> things. We host GNU and non-GNU project. GNU goes at sv.gnu.org and
> non-GNU at sv.nongnu.org
>
> You can register as non-GNU and become GNU later.

I suppose that developers need not register separately for accounts
when such a change occurs?  The reason for the proposed switch to
Savannah is to make it relatively straightforward to recruit people to
work on AUC TeX.  If a later switch to sv.gnu.org would cause people
not to bother registering a second time, that would be painful.  In
addition, I personally consider it a bit of a turnoff to be running
under the "non-GNU" moniker and would very much want to pursue
belonging rather in the GNU category.  Per Abrahamsen tells me that
the history of AUC TeX is such that getting copyright assignments from
all contributors by now would be pretty difficult, but that is not a
requirement for being GNU, anyway.  I think that I could promise an
autoconf-based first installation for the next major AUC TeX release,
since AUC TeX does not have much beyond what my own project
preview-latex demands at configuration time.  Mailing lists and main
web site would at first remain at sunsite.dk: subscribing and viewing
there is reasonably open, and my current time would probably be better
spent otherwise rather than disrupting the current scheme there.  But
for the usual demands of developers, I would appreciate the framework
Savannah provides.