[Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).
Date: 11 Dec 2002 14:20:12 +0100

> Sure, I was just alerting you to the fact that the maintainer of a project can
> always completely remove a CVS repository if he wants to; are you suggesting
> that we should move things out of the Attic and close the maintainers account
> when he decides to abandon a project? There are also projects which are empty
> or have just code taken from other projects, without any real new stuff. If
> the author tells us that the case, should we trust his judgment?

In fact, I prefer seeing project with a mention "no longer maintained"
in the description that deleting work already done. A unmature
software can be a starting point for another one.

Indeed, if a project interesting was completely moved in the Attic and
there was no other place to get the source, I think we should move
things out of the Attic.

If project are empty, it's just a waste of time and the project can be
removed. The same goes if the code is just taken from another
project. In this case, we should trust authors judgment.

But if there is original code, and more than 2 lines, we shouldnt
removed it. Removing it would be predicting that this code will never
interest somebody else, and there's probably not so many people that
believe in astrology in there. :)