Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:45:03 +0000

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:36:18AM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> > OK, that reply seems very similar to the one Mathieu gave yesterday, which I
> > agreed with. Then comes the next question: what if the author insists that
> > the
> > project does not have any new source code and is of no use?
>
> Do you mean that it is an empty project?  Or that he doesn't want any
> source code to be added?

I meant this:
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Jacek Rosik wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestions. I have nothing against leaving it. Bu I
> just thing that is useless as it was abandoned in quite early stage. But
> if you think that it can be useful for someone then let it stay.

The author thinks it is useless. Should we keep useless projects or not?
should we trust the author's judgment on what is useful or not, or go and
decide by ourselves?

> I think we should just make a new group, (like nongnu/gnu/www.gnu.org)
> that holds the projects without maintainers.  And put it there.

That's a good suggestion, there could be an "orphaned" projects section and
in the registration form for a new project we could advise the author to first
check whether there is already an orphaned project that he could adopt, rather
than registering a new project. If we create that orphaned section, we should
also advertise it among project maintainers telling them that if they ever get
too busy to maintain a project, they should orphan them.

Jaime