[Savannah-hackers] submission of adb\\\'s message database - savannah.n

From: savannah . gnu . org
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of adb\\\'s message database - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:36:15 -0500

Aaron D. Ball <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: adb\\\'s message database
System name: adbmdb
Type: non-GNU

An extensible message database system with convenient web and mail interfaces.
It is intended to replace mailing list servers and possibly mail servers, and
to be extensible to full-fledged groupware or anything else it occurs to users
to do.

* Messages are stored in a relational database for maximum general utility.
Users can get direct access to the database so they can build their own
applications on top of it.  The database handles any access control, resource
use limitations, and so on, so there\'s no need for separate security
infrastructure in the application software.

* A convenient application to treat the database like a weblog or webmail
system is provided.

* Also provided will be a convenient application to receive messages via the
normal Unix or SMTP mail system, and to distribute outgoing messages via that
system upon request.  It will be possible, but not required, to exclude the
current generation of spam by allowing only GPG-encrypted/signed messages.

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.  I have a sketch of the database
setup, a skeletal web interface, and a small test suite that should be fit for
uploading shortly.

Other Software Required:
* The database component requires access to a relational database with good
referential integrity support.  The software will initially be written to
PostgreSQL, but can readily be adapted to work with other database software
that has similar capabilities.

* The web component requires web server software that can do CGI scripts and
interface with the database.  I am currently writing for Apache with mod_perl
and Apache::DBI.

* The mail component will likely require Perl and DBI.  It will either do its
own SMTP with Net::SMTP or just call \"sendmail\" in the usual Unix fashion.

Other Comments:
I expect that, if this becomes a solid project, I will be willing to support it
commercially by arrangement.  I will have to negotiate with my employer about
this and about copyright issues;  I currently have a general verbal OK to
release software on my own time, and I plan to get a specific written OK once
there is something of substance to apply it to.