[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of adb\\\'s message database - savann

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of adb\\\'s message database - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 12 Dec 2002 14:09:24 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Aaron D. Ball <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: adb\\\'s message database
> System name: adbmdb
> Type: non-GNU

> An extensible message database system with convenient web and mail
> interfaces.  It is intended to replace mailing list servers and possibly mail
> servers, and to be extensible to full-fledged groupware or anything else it
> occurs to users to do.
>
> * Messages are stored in a relational database for maximum general utility.
> Users can get direct access to the database so they can build their own
> applications on top of it.  The database handles any access control, resource
> use limitations, and so on, so there\'s no need for separate security
> infrastructure in the application software.
>
> * A convenient application to treat the database like a weblog or webmail
> system is provided.
>
> * Also provided will be a convenient application to receive messages via the
> normal Unix or SMTP mail system, and to distribute outgoing messages via that
> system upon request.  It will be possible, but not required, to exclude the
> current generation of spam by allowing only GPG-encrypted/signed messages.
>
> It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.  I have a sketch of the
> database setup, a skeletal web interface, and a small test suite that should
> be fit for uploading shortly.
>
> Other Software Required:
> * The database component requires access to a relational database with good
> referential integrity support.  The software will initially be written to
> PostgreSQL, but can readily be adapted to work with other database software
> that has similar capabilities.
>
> * The web component requires web server software that can do CGI scripts and
> interface with the database.  I am currently writing for Apache with mod_perl
> and Apache::DBI.
>
> * The mail component will likely require Perl and DBI.  It will either do its
> own SMTP with Net::SMTP or just call \"sendmail\" in the usual Unix fashion.

Could you create a tarball with the code as it
now exists and make it available to a temporary URL
(and add this url to your description while submitting
the project)?

We want to help you fix potential legal issues.
For example, in order to release your project under
the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
permission statements at the beginning of every source code
file, following the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission