[Savannah-hackers] submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 conver

From: lifelines_3_0_18
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converte - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:27:35 -0500

Perry <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converte
System name: gedify
Type: non-GNU

A program to convert a GEDCOM 6.0 XML genealogy file
to GEDCOM 5.x. This is essentially meant as an import tool
to be used together with lifelines
  http://sf.net/projects/lifelines
although I see no reason why it could not be useful to anyone
interested in GEDCOM 6.0 XML but wishing to import the data
to an existing genealogy program.

I have written only a tiny autotools shell project, which
merely loops through its arguments and tries to open each
as a filename, to establish that I can compile a lib subdir
and one gui frontend so far (console), with (trivial) C++
source files.

I plan to use this as my learning ground for using libxml,
and for at using at least one cross-platform library. My
intention is to take wxWindows as my first cross-platform
GUI.

I plan to do my main work all on MS-Windows, hopefully using
mingw/cygwin platform (this is also an educational experience
for me, as stepping away from MSVisualC++ as my main tool on
MS-Windows).

Caveat:
I do not wish to include a snail address in the program
documentation (because I do not have a good drop address
which I am willing to expose to junk snail mail). Is this a
stumbling block for my being allowed to host the project on
Savannah ?

Other Software Required:
libxml (I hope this is found on most Free Operating Systems)
wxWindows (I hope it can be compiled on the important Free Operating Systems)
Possibly later VXCL (another open source cross-platform GUI library)

Other Comments:
I plan to load the project on Savannah as GPL. I plan to retain the copyright
myself, so that I may change the terms under which I release later versions
(eg, adding an X11 option). I understand that you do not allow changing
licenses on Savannah projects, so I believe that I could simply take future
development elsewhere if I decided to change the license (leaving the existing
project with GPL on Savannah for as long as you like, of course). I suppose
this will be an acceptable plan to you ?