[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 co

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converte - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 09 Jan 2003 17:17:17 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Perry <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: gedify GEDCOM 6 XML to GEDCOM 5 converte
> System name: gedify
> Type: non-GNU

Can you explain the name? You're free to choose the name you want but
I personally do not get the meaning of "gedify" and I may be not the
only one. :)

> A program to convert a GEDCOM 6.0 XML genealogy file
> to GEDCOM 5.x. This is essentially meant as an import tool
> to be used together with lifelines
>   http://sf.net/projects/lifelines
> although I see no reason why it could not be useful to anyone
> interested in GEDCOM 6.0 XML but wishing to import the data
> to an existing genealogy program.

Is gedcom, genealogy tool I guess, a free software? Can gedcom files
be generated by a free software?

> I have written only a tiny autotools shell project, which merely
> loops through its arguments and tries to open each as a filename, to
> establish that I can compile a lib subdir and one gui frontend so
> far (console), with (trivial) C++ source files.

Please register your project again including a URL
(could be temporary) where the source code can be found.
The description you give during project registration will be
read by Savannah administrators and not by the general Savannah
public (if you are still concerned with privacy, you can also
send me a copy of the code by e-mail).

We would like to look at your source code, even if it is still
not functional, to help you fix potential legal issues which
would be harder to find and to solve after the project gets
approved. For example, in order to release your project under
the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
permission statements at the beginning of every source code
file, as advise in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

> I plan to use this as my learning ground for using libxml, and for
> at using at least one cross-platform library. My intention is to
> take wxWindows as my first cross-platform GUI.
>
> I plan to do my main work all on MS-Windows, hopefully using
> mingw/cygwin platform (this is also an educational experience
> for me, as stepping away from MSVisualC++ as my main tool on
> MS-Windows).
>
> Caveat: I do not wish to include a snail address in the program
> documentation (because I do not have a good drop address which I am
> willing to expose to junk snail mail). Is this a stumbling block for
> my being allowed to host the project on Savannah ?

I'm not sure to understand your point.

Your email is @hotmail.com. Can't you create one more box for this
purpose?
Or maybe you could try yahoo services that features an anti-spam tool,
as far I know.

There's no real obligation to include an email address in the
documentation but that's a lot better if people can contact you.

Anyway, we need a real address where we can contact you, but you can
hide it from others (so only sv-hackers will know it), see in your
account configuration on savannah.

> Other Comments:
> I plan to load the project on Savannah as GPL. I plan to retain the copyright
> myself, so that I may change the terms under which I release later versions
> (eg, adding an X11 option). I understand that you do not allow changing
> licenses on Savannah projects, so I believe that I could simply take future
> development elsewhere if I decided to change the license (leaving the
> existing project with GPL on Savannah for as long as you like, of course). I
> suppose this will be an acceptable plan to you ?

We accept all software licensed under a GPL-compatible license, as the
X11 license. So you can later change licensing policy, as long it
remains GPL-compatible. If you do so, please tell us. We will update
your page information (currently, only us can do so, it permit us to
keep an eye on this crucial subject).

Each savannah-hacker may have special feelings (for instance, I would
almost never recommand to release a software under a license like x11
or LGPL), but we stick to the GPL-compatible policy. Our goal is to
host free software that can be mixed together.

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above. The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times. Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.