[Savannah-hackers] submission of Distributed Message Classifier - savan

From: devel
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Distributed Message Classifier - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:54:39 -0500

Santosh Dawara <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: Distributed Message Classifier
System name: dmsgclass
Type: non-GNU

Distributed Bayes is an attempt to develop a Distributed Bayesian email
classification system. Potential applications include the filtering of Spam.
The advantage of Distributing the problem of classification allows the
possibility of sharing conditional probabilities derived by individual email
agents. This is extremely critical if we want to be able to quickly nail and
filter adapting commerical junk mail.

Agents could conceptually share email Templates or just particular features and
their conditional probabilities. For example, after training on an email box,
an Agent comes up with the conclusion that \"Save More\" indicates that the
message is Spam with a 90% probability. This rule could then be shared with
other Agents who won\'t have to be trained to discover the same rule.

There is a flip side of course. There are exceptional conditions. The
usefulness of the agent depends on how well we can handle these exceptional
conditions. With concepts in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, we could
create a hierarchy of rules, classifying them as local and global. Local rules
could inhibit global rules (or beliefs). The point is, there are several
interesting problems that require investigation.