[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Distributed Message Classifier - s

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Distributed Message Classifier - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 13 Jan 2003 00:53:59 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Santosh Dawara <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Distributed Message Classifier
> System name: dmsgclass
> Type: non-GNU

> Distributed Bayes is an attempt to develop a Distributed Bayesian email
> classification system. Potential applications include the filtering of Spam.
> The advantage of Distributing the problem of classification allows the
> possibility of sharing conditional probabilities derived by individual email
> agents. This is extremely critical if we want to be able to quickly nail and
> filter adapting commerical junk mail.
>
> Agents could conceptually share email Templates or just particular features
> and their conditional probabilities. For example, after training on an email
> box, an Agent comes up with the conclusion that \"Save More\" indicates that
> the message is Spam with a 90% probability. This rule could then be shared
> with other Agents who won\'t have to be trained to discover the same rule.
>
> There is a flip side of course. There are exceptional
> conditions. The usefulness of the agent depends on how well we can
> handle these exceptional conditions. With concepts in Distributed
> Artificial Intelligence, we could create a hierarchy of rules,
> classifying them as local and global. Local rules could inhibit
> global rules (or beliefs). The point is, there are several
> interesting problems that require investigation.

It's a bit difficult for me to understand your plans. Do you checked
existing solutions (bogofilter, spamassassin etc)?

What do you plan to provide? What are the differencies with the
existing solutions?

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above. The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times. Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.