Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: flex project on savannah?

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: flex project on savannah?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:47:34 +0000

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:46:01PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> said:
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/ already exists, and you'll be able to
> > edit it through Savannah.
>
> If flex is not a GNU package, this is a serious problem and it should
> be fixed as soon as possible. No non-gnu package can have a url at
> gnu.org and mailing list @gnu.org
>
> RMS clearly expressed that no non-GNU package should have this kind of
> url.

>From ftp://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/README :
  "We distribute some non-GNU programs through our FTP server, or provide
   pointers to where to get them.  We put these programs/pointers in this
   directory since they are not developed by the GNU project. They are, of
   course, meant for use with the GNU system."

You can see that flex and other non-GNU packages such as Maxima are there
(http://www.gnu.org/software/maxima also exists).
Jeff has much more experience than the two of us with the GNU project
policies, so if he does not see a problem with
http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/ I'm sure RMS has approved it.

Two things that I find odd is that Flex is not listed in
http://www.gnu.org/directory/ and nethack is in ftp://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu
rather than ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu even though it is a GNU package.

Cheers,
Jaime