[Savannah-hackers] Re: flex project on savannah?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: flex project on savannah?
Date: 16 Jan 2003 22:10:15 +0100

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:22:22PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> >         that rewrites to
> >
> >         http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xmlnotes/
> >

> >         This causes major confusion.  It looks like xmlnotes is part of the
> > GNU
> >         project.
> >
> > According to RMS and Bradley Kuhn, non-GNU project with a GNU url is a
> > highly problematic issue. There are maybe special cases: it has to
> > be said in a preeminent place so everyone does not have to guess any
> > implicit/private choices made. Because anyway those choice have public
> > consequences.
>
> Notice that in the messages that you quote they do not say anything
> against:
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/xmlnotes
>
> what they complain about is:
>    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xmlnotes/
>
> There is a difference. In the first one "www" shows that it is a website
> and it includes information about software. The first URL is not perceived
> as saying that xmlnotes is a GNU project in the same sense that
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/abiword.html is not perceived as an implication
> that AbiWord is a GNU project.
>
> In the second case, savannah.gnu.org is identified as a project server
> for the GNU project, with projects that appear under
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/
> thus, the second URL would give the idea that xmlnotes is a GNU
> project.

I thought and still think that the issue was the gnu.org, not the
savannah. And to me, www.gnu.org/software means a software is GNU
package. Apparently I'm wrong, but am I the only one that understand
gnu.org/software in this way?

Also, I thought that the issue was about people that just know the
url.

The Free Software directory is a particular case itself, while
www.gnu.org/software is not.

Anyway, as I said, if I'm the only one to think that this is
anomalous, the story end.