[Savannah-hackers] Possible problem -- files with no licenses

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Possible problem -- files with no licenses
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:50:46 -0500

Apparently MacCX is hosted on Savannah as a non-GNU package and at
present its files do not have any license notices in them.  (At least
they did not have license notices when address@hidden evaluated
it as a possible GNU package.)

We have a policy about licenses for packages hosted on Savannah, and
people agree they will use a GPL-compatible license.  But if they
don't actually put such a license notice into the source files,
the files are not really free software.

Can we do anything to make sure that the source files of packages on
Savannah actually contain license notices for free software licenses?

Please don't talk with the developer of MacCX about this, because
other people will talk with him about this issue.  I'm mentioning it
to you as an example of the general problem.