Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of IronMailer, Webmail system - savann

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of IronMailer, Webmail system - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:25:14 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:10:48AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Joachim Wolfgang Kaltz <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: IronMailer, Webmail system
> System name: ironmailer
> Type: non-GNU

> Hi
> I\'ve written a new Webmail product.
> A zip of the current source bundle, about 3 MB big, is at this URL:
> http://www.jatec.ch/projects/ironmailer-src-20030122.zip
> (I haven\'t added the license stuff in the source yet, waiting for your ok on
> which license to use, I\'ll put it in first thing before uploading)

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notices and copying permission
statements at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt). Copy it for instance
into a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The GPL FAQ can also help you understand the reason behind
thoses recommendations. For example, there is an entry explaining
why the GPL requires including a copy of the GPL with
every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Please insert it now, this is the only way I can be sure that it will
be included.

> It\'s based on an XML & XSL presentation engine, using the open-source Cocoon
> framework. The logic part is written in Java and communicates with IMAP
> servers to handle mails.
>
> Special features are true multi-language support, using the Cocoon dictionary
> concept. So far I\'ve written 3 dictionaries (english, german and french) but
> other people could just add a new dictionary to add support for a new
> language. Also, this Webmail is faster than the open-source Webmail on my
> Linux distribution (SquirrelMail), so this is another motivation.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
We are careful about ethical issues and insist on
producing software that is not dependent on proprietary
software.

While Open Source as defined by it's founders means
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.
For more information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> Since the base is quite functional already, I\'d like to make it public, for
> anyone wanting to try it out, and/or contribute.
>
> Other Software Required:
> A part of the project uses Java, but no Swing or other Java graphics at all
> (the graphic stuff is all in XSL, pngs, ...)

The key question here is to figure out if your project
can run on a Free Software Java suite
(see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more
information). Could you give us some explanation about
this point?

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above. The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times. Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.

Regards,

Rudy