[Savannah-hackers] Re: Collaboration software (Wiki, Faq-o-Matic, etc)

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Collaboration software (Wiki, Faq-o-Matic, etc)
Date: 05 Mar 2003 10:40:27 +0100

Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> said:

> Hello guys!
>
> Are there any plans to offer this kind of service?
>
> I am currently helping transfer the project 'cfengine' to use Savannah
> as its hosting service, and we have a need for a software like
> Faq-o-Matic or Wiki.
>
> If you are not familiar with either of those, what we need is a web
> page that can be edited by developers via their web browser, also
> anybody should be able to post comments.  The other important feature
> is that the topics are arranged hierarchically and you can search for
> words.

Wikis consumes lot of CPU, and harddisk potentially. Considering the
Savannah load average, I'm not sure it would be wise.

Instead, there's is a FAQ tool, not usable for projects and it's stand
on Savannah but people at Cern enhanced it and we'll include their
modifications.

> There are Debian packages for the following: * phpwiki
> http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net
>
> * twiki
> http://twiki.org
>
> * faqomatic (Faq-o-Matic)
> http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net
>
> I personally have installed/configured and used Faq-o-Matic and I am
> very pleased with it (currently being used at work).
>
> If the answer is that we need man power to do the install,
> configuration and maintenance (extremely minimal, at least for
> Faq-o-Matic), I can help with that.

In fact, it would require also modifications on the Savannah php
frontend. But it not a problem.

An estimation about CPU usage?