[Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions hda disk (continued)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: subversions hda disk (continued)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:52:12 +0100

Jeff Bailey writes:
 > The RAM is always a good idea, but I find that SCSI is rarely worth the
 > price.  2 80 GB IDEs are cheap, and software raid works quite well.  At
 > work we have hot swap IDE cages (I think they're like $30 each, but I
 > haven't looked at the prices in many years).  We don't use them for hot
 > swap, but it means that the machine only needs to be turned off for 30
 > seconds while we swap one drive one for another.  Then the mirror can be
 > rebuilt with the machine live.

        I'm still trying to figure out exactly why 20 CVS pserver
processes can generate such a load average. The vast majority of CVS
pserver processes are simple anoncvs, i.e. read files. I see no reason
for a disk that has 20MB/s of transfert rate to be saturated when
serving less that 200KB/s total (as shown on mrtg graphs). There is
something seriously wrong somewhere ...

        Cheers,

--
             Sauvez le droit d'auteur