[Savannah-hackers] submission of Debian Usability Research - savannah.n

From: zinie
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Debian Usability Research - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:16:58 -0500

Enrico Zini <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: Choosing a license is not quite applicable at this stage, since
we\'ll start with just list discussion.

We\'ll hopefully be producing some documentation and code, and since they\'ll
be part of Debian, they\'ll be DFSG-compliant.
Package: Debian Usability Research
System name: d-usability
Type: non-GNU

At the Linux Conferenct Australia 2003 there was a BOF about debian usability
issues.  At the end of the BOF we gathered e-mail addresses and decided to
continue working on these issues once we got back home.  Nearly two months have
passed and the continuation has not begun due to many random problems, but now
it seems that the right time has arrived.

We will mainly need a mailing list, although the savannah facilities are likely
to prove useful for the group work.  We decided, together with Anand Kumria
(the debian.org listmaster) to start the list in some separate server, possibly
bringing it later into debian if we see that it takes off.

The goal of the project is to address general usability issues on Debian.
These are some issues identified in the BOF, to give a practical idea about
what we have in mind:

 - status of package metadata: what is ok, what is still missing, how could it
be added
 - package searching and browsing techniques, to cope with the large and
increasing number of packages
 - how \"debian flavours\" could help produce distribution that better address
the needs of different communities and how they could be easily created.
 - how to handle usability bug reports

This does not start as a software project, although it might lead to writing
some code.

Other Software Required:
This project is all about Debian and all dependencies will be part of the
Debian project.