[Savannah-hackers] Re: licensing of Cameleon

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: licensing of Cameleon
Date: 29 Mar 2003 16:03:50 +0100

Hi Maxence,

Zoggy <address@hidden> said:

> Hi,
> >
> > We have a proposal that would clarify your licensing scheme.
>
> After some thinking, I changed Cameleon's License to GPL v2.

Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.
Would you agree to license under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?
The main motive is that in ten years from now the copyright
holder may not be reachable while the legal system has
changed and calls for a new version of the GNU GPL v2. When
that happens, licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" blocks
the software: it is impossible to upgrade to the new license.

If you have concerns about "GNU GPL v2 or later", We'd be
happy to address them too.

> I tried to resubmit the project (cameleon) with the url in the
> message i received after submitting, but in step 4 it complains that
> the project name already exists. Must I resubmit or can you accept
> the project ?  For your information, the current snapshot is all GPL
> and can be found here:
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/Tools/Tars/cameleon_snapshot.tar.gz

The project has been set as "hold" instead of deleted, which is
normally an error. However, if you agree for the "GNU GPL v2 or
later", I can accept your project without resubmission.