[Savannah-hackers] submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu.org

From: alexs
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:40:56 -0500

Alex Sisson <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: gin (GPL Insert)
System name: gin
Type: non-GNU

A command line utility to insert the \'gnu copyright permission statement\' as
a comment at the start of the specified files.

It supports various options for the statement, allowing for a project name,
normal GPL or lesser/library GPL

It currently has crude template support, to allow users to include various
custom parts to the statement such as their name, date, cvs tags and so on. I
intend to add \'placeholder\' support to the template, allowing users to do
things such as $FILE or $DATE to insert the filename of the current file, or
the current date.

It supports the commenting style of a variety of languages.

It is currently hosted on sourceforge:
http://gcpi.sourceforge.net

It was originally titled gcpi - \'Gnu Copyright Permission Inserter\', but this
wasn\'t very catchy, and I came up with gin - \'Gnu Insert\'.
Then I thought it would be better hosted on savannah because of the obvious gnu
connection.
However, this goes against gnu policy for non-gnu programs, so, on a previous
submission effort Jaime E. Villate recommended \'GPL Insert\'.

Speaking of my previous submission effort, the approval was allocated to
Mathieu Roy. However, I never received emails from him (I only recently read
his emails on the savannah web-based email archive).
As such, I didn\'t quite know what was going on. If I had, I wouldve
resubmitted earlier.

It was possible that my email provider was the problem (a free shell account
called cyberspace.org). I have now changed my savannah email address, so
hopefully this will now be ok.

The mail web archive also showed that Mathieu asked me if it was mature enough,
for you to give a link to it for submissions that have no copyright comment.
(see http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-01/msg00536.html).
In answer to that question. Yes it is mature enough for that, but no, it doesnt
not support mBSD. I would look into this.

I have not submitted for gnu project assessment, because I think there are
various gnu standards that it fails to meet. However, I would like to submit it
for the gnu project at a later date.