[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of newbie OS - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of newbie OS - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 04 Apr 2003 10:39:59 +0200

address@hidden said:

> Peter Wiehe <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: Public domain. As I stated above the code should be a
> reference and laerning material.
> Package: newbie OS
> System name: newbieos
> Type: non-GNU

> A PD code base for bootloader/kernel programmers.
> In NASM, for x86 (386+, except bootblock which is perhaps 286+).
> Not a complete kernel (who knows..?) but instead a code base, where
> programmers can learn from, or take partially or completely for their own
> kernels/bootloaders. First code will be a bootblock of a FAT floppy
> (http://www.peterwiehe.de/no/muffin.asm ) which can load multiple(!) files
> from the rootdir and is configured by a text file(!).
> Future plan: A stage2 bootloader which switches to pmode and then(!) loads a
> kernel. Sort of generic code to enable A20, setup GDT etc.
> It\'s all intentionally very primitive and minimalistic.
> Further future dreams: Some parts of a real kernel (mem management, process
> mangment,...) and OS environment (C-Lib, shell, compiler), in NASM or C. But
> that\'s very optimistic.
> If ever C is used, GCC and ANSI-C are the main focus, but maybe I support
> some proprietary C-compiler features. The rule \"No better version on
> proprietary OS\" will be observed.

Is your project a kernel, a bootloader, a libc or a OS?

The names leads to think it's a OS. But an OS is always an assembly
of projects.

And on Savannah, we want a project account per component. If you plan
to do a bootloader + a kernel, you should create two project and maybe
even a third one to glue the two projects (but not to create a whole
distribution with third party components), as for the DotGNU project,
for instance.

> Other Software Required: (At runtime) Relying on nothing else than
> BIOS. If ever it gets that far that it uses a C-Lib, it will be only
> its own C-lib (=part of the project).

> Other Comments:
> Because (all) people should be able to learn from the code this is NOT
> copyleft, but PD.

Anyone is able to "learn from the GPLed code". It just requires
sincere agreement to permit to anyone "learn from the code".

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above.  The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times.  Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.