[Savannah-hackers] [ 101927 ] New Project containing binary firmware ?

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 101927 ] New Project containing binary firmware ?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:24:41 -0400

Support Request #101927, was updated on Mon 03/10/03 at 01:09
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101927&group_id=11

Category: None

By: yeupou
Date: Sat 04/19/03 at 16:24
Logged In: YES
user_id=1896
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux 2.4.21-pre6; i686; fr,
address@hidden)

Hi Joerg,

I'm really sorry to waste your time this way. I asked to several person to
examine this case and give you a prompt answer, but sadly, I'm
disappointed to find out that apparently no one find time to do this.

I see no other option than to give you my answer, that you should
consider as non-authorative because I'm not sure at all here (frustrating,
indeed), and I wonder it's already far to late :
We should accept to host project when the non-free part is part of the
device. For instance, if the non-free is in it's FLASH. Because indeed the
idea is to be able to work with this device, as it's, as much as possible.
But if the interface you mention is just a software, a library, not part of
the device in itself but a driver, your software should not depend on it.

So if your project can run on a free system, like GNU/Linux, without
installing on this system a non-free software, it's ok. If the non-free part
is part of the device, it's not installed on the system.

You are free to submit your project on Savannah if you think we're in this
case.

By: joerg.albert