Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #193040] becomming a GNU project?

From: Arc Riley via RT
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #193040] becomming a GNU project?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:10:00 -0400

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:41:15AM -0400, Sylvain Beucler via RT wrote:

> There are plans at Gna! (https://gna.org/) to support SVN soon:
> https://gna.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=118
>
> Updating webpages at gnu.org still requires a CVS account at Savannah,
> but managing webpages through CVS should not be a problem.

That's good news re: Gna!.  My experience with CVS shows that it's
wholly inadequate for dealing with large collections of files in
different directories, where they often need to be re-organized to keep
the whole collection managable.

When we're dealing with what will likely be over a thousand Ogg
multimedia files, a few thousand image files (PNG, likely), a few
thousand Blender meshes, and the "compiled" versions of all of these,
having them easily re-organizable is very important.  With CVS you can't
even delete an empty directory from the repository, much less move files
between directories with their full revision history intact.  If we were
to use CVS I'm afraid the project would become an unmaintanable mess.

Savannah for managing the webpages is easy, though it'd be nice to have
everything be SVN across the board.  Until a better solution is
available, especially given that most if not all of the development this
summer will take place in the same physical room, I'd like to host the
project's SVN on our local server.  It will (not now) be publically
accessable via both IPv4 and IPv6 and can be pointed to from the
project website.

Distribution files, task management, bug tracking, etc would be a good
function of Savannah.