[Savannah-hackers] Re: Clarification on removing projects

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Clarification on removing projects
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:25:04 +0100 (BST)

Richard Stallman said:
>      For a GNU project, it is delicate to remove all since the
>     account needed to update www.gnu.org pages and @gnu.org mailing-lists,
>     that GNU maintainers should primarily use. But since RMS agrees, fine.
>
> Please ask me for confirmation before removing any GNU package on
> Savannah.

Will do.

In the case of GNU Fribidi, is it OK by you to remove the project?

> As for non-GNU packages, if the developers want to remove them,
> please do so.
>
> *Always* make sure we keep a permanent copy of all the data in the
> project, before you delete it.  Talk with Paul to work out how to do
> make sure of this.

Right, this is what I wanted to be sure about.  I will speak with Paul
about creating backups of the CVS and mailing list data.

>  For example, say project `foo' has moved bar.org, should I just delete
>  the project via the front-end or should I also remove the it's CVS
>  repository, webcvs repository, download area, any existing mailing
>  lists, etc?
>
> In general, once you are deleting a project, you should ask the
> developers how they want you to handle these things, and do what they
> want.  For instance, they might want you to forward the mailing lists.

OK, I will ask them in future, and will ask the maintainer of GNU Fribidi
now what he wants to do.

Thanks for clarifying this.

--
Elfyn