[Savannah-hackers] [support #103157] CVS update fails

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [support #103157] CVS update fails
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:56:30 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: Savannah Administration.

[support #103157] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Elfyn McBratney <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Mon 07/05/2004 at 13:54 (Europe/London)

Unfortunately, I've gone as far as I can with this request, as I haven't found
any evidence that this is a problem with the CVS server on Savannah, and all
attempts to reproduce this have failed (FWIW, CVS 1.11.5 doesn't exhibit this
problem).

The last thing I can suggest is that you contact Apple and see if they are able
to help you.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help.

[support #103157] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah Administration
Submitted by: Bill Northcott
On: Fri 06/25/2004 at 08:41

Category:  None

Original Submission:  The commands below were run in a source tree checked out
in April.

/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/
/usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
cvs update: inflate: unknown compression method
cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error

I get this error persistently.  My system is MacOS X 10.3.4 with the standard
CVS 1.10 (Halibut).

The contents of the CVS directory are:
Root:
address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm

Repository:
/cvsroot/swarm/swarm

Any help would be appreciated
Bill Northcott

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Fri 07/02/2004 at 21:11       By: northcob
This is cvs as supplied with Xcode 1.2/Darwin 7.4/MacOS X 10.3.4
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/GNU] billn% cvs -v
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)
Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.
Specify the --help option for further information about CVS
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/GNU] billn%

Date: Fri 07/02/2004 at 09:07       By: beu
What version of CVS are you using?

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:56       By: northcob
Second log file attached.  My effort to send two files was unsuccessful.
Bill Northcott

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:54       By: northcob
Whoops.  Forget that last message.  The shell did not have ssh as the cvs
access method.

Now I get:
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
cvs update: inflate: unknown compression method
cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn%

Log files attached.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 06/28/2004 at 23:57       By: northcob
I tried with the log files as requested.  Behaviour seems to have changed but
is still not working.  I have tested this on two computers with identical
result.

[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% setenv CVS_CLIENT_LOG cvs.log
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
savannah.gnu.org: Operation timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn%

This error is the same from within Xcode.

cvs.log.in:
Root /cvsroot/swarm
Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum Copy-file
Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode Mod-time Removed
Remove-entry Set-static-directory Clear-static-directory Set-sticky
Clear-sticky Template Set-checkin-prog Set-update-prog Notified
Module-expansion Wrapper-rcsOption M Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests

cvs.log.out is empty.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 06/28/2004 at 16:13       By: beu
Can you try the following from a shell (assuming bash):

  export CVS_CLIENT_LOG=cvs.log
  /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update

And attach the files cvs.log.in and cvs.log.out (which will be in the same
directory as you ran cvs in) ?

Date: Sat 06/26/2004 at 01:46       By: northcob
The previous error occured trying to update the status from within Xcode.

I did a fresh checkout from within a shell and tried again with the same result:
[PBG4-BN:Swarm/test/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update

Date: Fri 06/25/2004 at 16:02       By: beu
Do you get the same error from a fresh checkout?

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:56  Name: cvs.log.out  Size: 515B   By: northcob
Second log file from cvs test