[Savannah-hackers] [support #103157] CVS update fails

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [support #103157] CVS update fails
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:05:32 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: Savannah Administration.

[support #103157] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Elfyn McBratney <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Thu 07/15/2004 at 18:01 (Europe/London)

Apologies for the delay, I have been out of town.

When I was investigating this, I tested versions 1.11.13 throught to 1.11.17
(not only on GNU/Linux, but also on FreeBSD and Windows, and a colleague tested
Mac OS X 10.3) with a few different combos of compression levels.  Neither of
us got any errors.

Wferi, the last time CVS was updated on our system was on the 7th of June, so
if everything was OK on the 22nd, it sounds more like a client issue not a
server one.  Especially as your using a feature test (alpha) version and not a
proven stable version of CVS.

I'll keep this open, but as I said there is not much we can do: tests on
several different platforms and CVS versions did not exhibit this behaviour,
and the only people that have reported this problem to us are a) using ancient
versions of CVS or b) using feature test versions.

[support #103157] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah Administration
Submitted by: Bill Northcott
On: Fri 06/25/2004 at 08:41

Category:  None

Original Submission:  The commands below were run in a source tree checked out
in April.

/Users/billn/Public/Swarm/swarm/
/usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
cvs update: inflate: unknown compression method
cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error

I get this error persistently.  My system is MacOS X 10.3.4 with the standard
CVS 1.10 (Halibut).

The contents of the CVS directory are:
Root:
address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm

Repository:
/cvsroot/swarm/swarm

Any help would be appreciated
Bill Northcott

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Wed 07/07/2004 at 02:30       By: northcob
The Changelogs for cvs indicate that this is an issue between cvs v1.10 (1.12?)
client and some versions of 1.11 server.
Bill Northcott

Date: Tue 07/06/2004 at 23:11       By: None
A final comment that the -z3 is included in the recommended cvs commands given
on Savannah, Sourceforge and Apple's cvs to name a few.

So I still think there is something wrong with the Savannah setup.
Bill Northcott

Date: Tue 07/06/2004 at 14:44       By: wferi
I experience the same on Linux, cvs 1.12.1.  Back on Jun 22 00:12 CEST
everything was working OK with -z3.  Now I have to switch off compression (-z0)
to get anything.

Date: Tue 07/06/2004 at 01:51       By: northcob
I found a fix.

I have a line in .cvsrc "cvs -z3".  Removing the -z3 makes the error go away.
I am still not understanding what is going on because .cvsrc has not been
changed in well over a year, it works with Apple's cvs, it works with checkout
and it used to work on Savannah until recently.

I tried it on a Tru64 box and the -z3 option gave no problems, but that was CVS
version 1.11.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 07/05/2004 at 20:41       By: northcob
I have tried three different Macs and they all behave the same.
Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 07/05/2004 at 20:29       By: northcob
Three months ago it worked!  Something has been changed at your end.  It would
be helpful to know what has been done to the cvs in the last few months.

My computer works perfectly well with Apple's opensource cvs.

When you say you cannot reproduce it, have you tried with Darwin/MacOS X or
only Linux?

The error message seems to me to imply that the files are compressed with an
algorithm not available on Darwin.  Do you use bzip2?  This will be supported
in Darwin 8 but is not in the current versions.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 07/05/2004 at 13:54       By: beu
Unfortunately, I've gone as far as I can with this request, as I haven't found
any evidence that this is a problem with the CVS server on Savannah, and all
attempts to reproduce this have failed (FWIW, CVS 1.11.5 doesn't exhibit this
problem).

The last thing I can suggest is that you contact Apple and see if they are able
to help you.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help.

Date: Fri 07/02/2004 at 21:11       By: northcob
This is cvs as supplied with Xcode 1.2/Darwin 7.4/MacOS X 10.3.4
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/GNU] billn% cvs -v
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)
Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.
Specify the --help option for further information about CVS
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/GNU] billn%

Date: Fri 07/02/2004 at 09:07       By: beu
What version of CVS are you using?

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:56       By: northcob
Second log file attached.  My effort to send two files was unsuccessful.
Bill Northcott

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:54       By: northcob
Whoops.  Forget that last message.  The shell did not have ssh as the cvs
access method.

Now I get:
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
cvs update: inflate: unknown compression method
cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn%

Log files attached.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 06/28/2004 at 23:57       By: northcob
I tried with the log files as requested.  Behaviour seems to have changed but
is still not working.  I have tested this on two computers with identical
result.

[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% setenv CVS_CLIENT_LOG cvs.log
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update
savannah.gnu.org: Operation timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
[PBG4-BN:~/Public/Swarm/swarm] billn%

This error is the same from within Xcode.

cvs.log.in:
Root /cvsroot/swarm
Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum Copy-file
Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode Mod-time Removed
Remove-entry Set-static-directory Clear-static-directory Set-sticky
Clear-sticky Template Set-checkin-prog Set-update-prog Notified
Module-expansion Wrapper-rcsOption M Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests

cvs.log.out is empty.

Bill Northcott

Date: Mon 06/28/2004 at 16:13       By: beu
Can you try the following from a shell (assuming bash):

  export CVS_CLIENT_LOG=cvs.log
  /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update

And attach the files cvs.log.in and cvs.log.out (which will be in the same
directory as you ran cvs in) ?

Date: Sat 06/26/2004 at 01:46       By: northcob
The previous error occured trying to update the status from within Xcode.

I did a fresh checkout from within a shell and tried again with the same result:
[PBG4-BN:Swarm/test/swarm] billn% /usr/bin/cvs -q -n update

Date: Fri 06/25/2004 at 16:02       By: beu
Do you get the same error from a fresh checkout?

CC List
-------

CC Address                          | Comment
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
wferi                               | pretty curious

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Tue 06/29/2004 at 00:56  Name: cvs.log.out  Size: 515B   By: northcob
Second log file from cvs test