Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of rpm3html - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Peter Hanecak
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of rpm3html - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:30:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
<snip>
> Please remove GIF image files from your project and
> replace them with an other format (such as PNG or JPEG).
>
> Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW
> compression algorithm which are used when making GIF files,
> it's impossible to have free software to generate proper
> GIFs.  They also apply to the compress program.
>
> For more information read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html
>
> If GIF images will not be imported into CVS, I can approve your project.

while applying for "space" on Savannah is part of change of
rpm2html maintainer it means that as a new maintainer I'll do some
changes. At first just new website (if application will be approved, on
Savannah) and also - as you requested and as is good - replacement of any
GIF images with PNG images (either in utility or on website).

I'll make sure I do not commit any GIF into Savannah's CVS.

Sincerely

Peter Hanecak

  Peter Hanecak <address@hidden>
  GPG pub.key: http://www.megaloman.com/gpg/hanecak-megaloman.txt