Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of ttyrpld - TTY replay deamon - savan

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of ttyrpld - TTY replay deamon - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:20:58 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:17:56 -0400, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Jan Engelhardt <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License: As said, might want to change to OSL (Open Source License)
> Package: ttyrpld - TTY replay deamon
> System name: ttyrpld
> Type: non-GNU

> ttyrpld is a kit to log any traffic passing and actions which pass any of
the (Linux) Kernel's tty devices. In common-term language, it is a Key- and
screenlogger and as such can be used for so-called honeypots.
> This kit is build up modular and consits of a kernel patch, a corresponding
kernel module, a user space daemon for writing it to disk, and ,of course, a
(real-time) playback application.

> You can grab the current version from
http://linux01.org:2222/f/ttyrpld-0.8.tbz2 , which is about complete with the
exception of the replayer which needs improving.

> Other Software Required:
> Standard libs/progs:
> Linux 2.4 or 2.6
> popt >= 1.6.4
>
> Unstandard:
> libHX (http://linux01.org:2222/prog-libHX.php)
>
> Other Comments:
> About the licensing: Currently, the whole package is released under GPL2
(the Kernel sources don't give that many options ;-) so I decided to make it
equal), but when the Linux Kernel changes to OSL, I would also like to do so
if I see fit.

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously
under the GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy
statements at the beginning of every file of source code (your current headers
are nonstandard).

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Further, the license you did include, which should be labeled as COPYING, as
described above, lacks the last section, titled "How to Apply These Terms to
Your New Programs".

Please use a complete verbatim copy of the license, which may be found
at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt,
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.txt or
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt

For your reference, the files that need the standard GPL header:

        /user/replay.c
        /user/rpld.c
        /user/shared.c
        /user/Makefile
        /kernel-2.4/Makefile
        /kernel-2.4/rpl-2.4-kernelpatch.diff
        /kernel-2.4/rpldev.c
        /kernel-2.6/Makefile
        /kernel-2.6/rpldev.mod.c
        /kernel-2.6/rpl-kernelpatch.diff
        /kernel-2.6/rpldev.c
        /etc-init.d-ttyrpld
        /include/ushared.h
        /include/rpl_ioctl.h
        /include/rpl_packet.h
        /include/dev.h
        /etc-init.d-ttyrpld

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide us with
an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we will
reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.

Michael J. Flickinger