Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of silicybin - decentralized anarchic

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of silicybin - decentralized anarchic free hacker networks - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:03:10 +0100

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 04:07:04PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> cyn0n rautha <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: I'm not sure I found a license that really fits well with
> this project. I would like for this project to have free
> source code to anyone who wants it and never ever be sold
> for a fee. I would like to give permission to do whatever
> anyone wants with it also, modify it, use parts of it, patch it,
> etc--just don't sell it.
> Package: silicybin - decentralized anarchic free hacker networks
> System name: silicybin
> Type: non-GNU

Not allowing anyone the right to sell your program qualifies it
as GPL-incompatible.

We host only software published under licenses compatible with the
GPL, which allows developers to combine files from any project without
fear of a licensing problem.

If you are willing to switch to a GPL-compatible license, please
resubmit the project.  You can get a list of various licenses and
comments about them at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html.

> Silicybin and the related programs that are for this decentralized
> network, master control program, and the zombie nodes are to be used
> for hackers that have large amounts of computers that they wish to
> destroy power connotations with. All the regular p2p ammenities exist
> such as file trading, chat, news, etc--however the main difference
> is that it is intended to build up closely-knit hacker decentralized
> hacker communities online and destroy concepts that relate towards
> ownership of computers and networks. Many hackers have 5, 10, maybe
> 100 computers they have access to but they usually don't have a good
> way to share these computers/networks with each other w/out a form
> of domination being used--this is where silicybin comes in. It destroys
> these false power relationships for a truly egalitarian network
> experience. The code is still in alpha stage right now and is going
> public because the sole maintainer needs some extra help but you
> can find a copy at www.umr.edu/~eyberg/silicybin.tar.gz

Due to the nature of your program, I am afraid we will not be able to
host it at Savannah, as we can't host software that aids people in
breaking the law, and by hosting it, we could also be liable.

Elfyn McBratney

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4