Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of NetHack Proxy - savannah.nongnu.org

From: J. Ali Harlow
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of NetHack Proxy - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:57:49 +0000

On 17/12/04 03:02:14, Jonathan Gonzalez V. wrote:
"J. Ali Harlow" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi J. Ali Harlow,

First at all, apologies for the delay in my answer.

Seemed pretty fast to me.

Related to the tarball, you have a lot of documentation, consider to
licensed under the GNU FDL, you can read more about the GNU FDL in
these URLs:

      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html
      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html#SEC4

I can see this is going to get complicated! Following the recommendation in fdl.html#SEC4, I would want to release any example code under parallel licenses (ie., both the LGPL and the NGPL) so that my upstream users could include the code in their packages regardless of whether they are relying on the NGPL or the LGPL.

Things are further complicated by the fact that quite a bit of the documentation that you see so far is auto-generated by gtk-doc (my changes so far have been limited to nhproxy-sections.txt, nhproxy- docs.sgml, tmpl/prxyclnt.sgml with various trivial tweaks to the other files in tmpl).

Finally, gtk-doc works by extracting documentation from the code (though I haven't written any yet). Thus the majority of the meat of the documentation will presumably be covered by the LGPL/NGPL licenses anyway. I'm not clear how this affects the licensing of the reference manual as a whole.

The NhExt specification (in doc/ext_protocol.html), on the other hand, is based on a document released solely under the NGPL and will therefore presumably itself have to be released only under that license.

You cannot use a range of years in the Copyright Notices, consider to
fix this.

Yes, I realised that this was going to be a problem while I was reading the savannah-hackers archive. It's going to take a while to trace back in CVS to find which years actually apply, but I understand I need to do this.

You have to include the License Notices of GNU LGPL, you cannot avoid
this. You can reference the NGPL writing the COPYING POLICIES section
at the end of the LGPL notices, or if you prefer, in this case you
can point to the user to license.txt.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you suggesting that I use something like this:

---------------------------- CUT ----------------------------
This file is part of NetHack Proxy.

NetHack Proxy is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version.

NetHack Proxy is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
License along with NetHack Proxy; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

Alternatively (at your option) you may instead choose to redistribute
and/or modify NetHack Proxy under the terms of the NetHack General
Public License.

You should have receieved a copy of the NetHack General Public License
along with NetHack Proxy; if not, download a copy from
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/nethack.php
---------------------------- CUT ----------------------------

Related to this point you have the 'COPYING.LIB' file missing, this file should include a verbatim copy of the GNU LGPL that you can get from here:

      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.txt

There is a verbatim copy of that file included as doc/LGPL.txt - if the location and name of the file is important to you I guess I could move it.

If the "Slash'EM Development Team" doesn't not exist and you are the
only developer on this project, you can change the copyright holder
to you, but, if there's more than one developer in previous release, you have to keep that copyright holder. If you still having doubts about this point, you can check this URL to learn more about this issue: http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

I'm not sure that this document address the issue in question, but still...

The Slash'EM Development Team certainly does exist. It currently consists of five people: Warren Cheung, Clive Crous, Paul Hurtley, Pekka Rousu and myself. However, as I say, I was the only person who contributed to any of the files which were previously part of Slash'EM and are now part of nhproxy. From a legal point of view, the question comes down to whether by choosing to attach a copyright notice to the files in question which named the Slash'EM Development Team as the copyright holder I would be deemed to have assigned the copyright to them or whether I, in fact, still hold the copyright and the notices should be corrected.

In any event, I'm quite happy for the notices to remain as they are as long as this will not cause any problems in the future.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please
provide us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project. Upon review, we will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.

I will start work on fixing the dates in the copyright notices. I hope you don't mind if I ask for some clarification on the points I raise above before I make any more drastic changes.

Many thanks,

Ali.