[Savannah-help-public] [support #103855] Mailing list creation for avr-l

From: Joerg Wunsch
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:07:45 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Platform Version: None
             Open/Closed: Open

avr-libc (nongnu.org) project.

As this is merely a migration of existing lists currently running on a

private machine in NZ to some well-connected, well-maintained public

server, we'd like to keep the current names "avr-gcc-list" and

"avr-chat", even though it doesn't match the naming conventions that

would apply to the avr-libc project.  The avr-libc project already

runs an avr-libc-dev list intented for developers, while the new lists

are merely intented for users of the opensource toolchain for Atmel

AVR microcontrollers.  Traditionally, the entire toolchain has been

tied to the term "AVR-GCC".  AVR-GCC is not a project of its own

though, it is merely the GNU compiler configured for the AVR target

(the changes have been merged into the GCC codebase long ago, so no

separate public project is needed=.  avr-libc is the closest project

of its own that somehow serves as an `umbrella' for the entire

toolchain as well (e.g. we document how to use all the tools together

in our avr-libc documentation).

The idea behind two lists is to separate technical questions and

discussion to AVR-GCC (and the entire toolchain) from not-so-technical

discussions.

If the mailing list creation is possible that way, we'd also like to

ask whether the already existing email archives on the current mailing

list server (avr1.org) could be migrated.  The lists are currently

alredy run via GNU mailman, and the current list maintainer told me

that he can provide the full mbox files for importing (less than a

megabyte in total).  Migration of the userbase will then be done by

means of a mass-invitation which can be handled by the list admins.

This item URL is:

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=103855>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/