Re: [Savannah-help-public] Default software project perms allows anonymo

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Default software project perms allows anonymous patches
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:27:41 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 05:05:22PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     There's a difference between anonymous and non-registered :)
>
> What is that difference?

"registered" means that the user created a Savannah account and is
logged-in. This doesn't mean that the user has a trusted identity -
even spam bots are automatically creating accounts nowadays.

A contrario an "anonymous" user, that is a user who is not using a
Savannah account, can identify himself by other means, for example
using a GPG signature. So what Savannah considers "non-registered" is
not necessarily really anonymous.

I find it cumbersome to force users to create a Savannah account: this
is a short but annoying process where you need to provide a working
e-mail address and to remember yet another login/password pair. In
particular I think it may turn off people who would like to quickly
report a bug. As a result I think it's better to allow tasks to be
done without requiring to create a Savannah account and login.

Since enforcing registration to submit a patch does not improve the
level of authentication (legally-wise), and since it's cumbersome, I'm
not in favor of that change site-wide.

This still can be (and is) done by each project individually when they
see fit.

--
Sylvain